Monday, February 14, 2005

Budd

Buddhism that is. I'm converted. I don't know if this requires baptism or what but I'm a self proclaimed Buddhist-Mormon. Kinda like how Marvin Goldstein is a Jewish-Mormon. I see no contradiction and I think it's a perfect fit, and it also comes at a great time in my life. I'm making big life decisions right now and I think this will help me focus my thoughts and energy towards something more positive. If I know anything at all it is that I'm at where I'm at and I deserve to be where I am, at least that's what Buddhism tells me. I wonder where I'll end up in the next life or what I'll end up being. Maybe a bird or maybe I'll just be a rock, keen to observe all around me and tell little jokes to the peebles chillin' nearby. Anyway it's all about karma. My conversion story? I read the 4 noble truths, which are: 1 - Life is suffering 2 - Suffering arises from desire 3 - The solution to suffering lies in curbing desire 4 - Desire can be curbed if a person follows the eight fold path. My conversion was both logical and spiritual. The eight fold path is where Buddhism gets a little too much too soon. Join me and we can be little Buddhist friends. Plus we could probably take over the world. Who's in?

3 comments:

FishHead said...

I'll need to hear more about the eight steps necessary to curb desire. I have to say i'm a little surprised that you have converted so quickly. many christians find it difficult enough to focus on complete assimilation of jesus' teachings. i infer from you declaration that you have not only mastered christianity, but also have had such force of person to be able to enter into the teachings of our far eastern brethren. for having such energy and self-command, I commend you

Rachel said...

WOW. That is some deep stuff. Troy, I can honestly say when I took Ancient World History, I never once thought, Buddhism or bust! But that's cool if you think you can make a mormon-buddhist wave. I'm not so sure I'm with you on the taking over the world thing, but keep me posted on your progress. Your doing a really great thing.

FishHead said...

In response to your need for ebooks: pass your mouse over the picture of the printing press that puts out cds. it's a link to the site.